Orr Family

Orr Family

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Value #1: Disciple-making not Crowd-building

I vividly remember sitting on the sofa in my home office prior to setting off on this adventure of re-planting a church.  At the time I didn't even know where we would be planting, and re-planting certainly wasn't on my radar. One morning I was thinking and praying (most times I have a difficult time distinguishing between the two) and asking God-"So, if I do this thing you have in mind--what do I need to do?"  

He clearly said:  "Pray for twelve men. Twelve men in whom you can invest your life. Disciple them in the Way of Jesus."

That sounded familiar to me. I thought or prayed, "I can do that!"

Over the last eleven months we've tackled a number of unexpected projects, we've redesigned some of the critical systems, we've had several challenging conversations, we've conducted months of re:Development sessions, we've planned worship services, we've initiated relationships in the community, we've started Life Groups (and quickly renamed them Rock Bands), and we've accomplished dozens of other forgotten things that have helped us get to where we are--which is exactly where we are supposed to be on God's timeline.

But the most important thing I've done is pray for twelve men. The way God will grow this church is through the power of disciple-making. It isn't showy. It probably will not attract a huge following on the front end. But we aren't about building a crowd, we're about disciples making disciples. 

I once heard , "The way you reach people is the way you'll keep them." For example, if you reach them through programming (which has its place!) then you'll have to keep them through programming. Howeva, (that's southern lawyer speak for "However") if you grow them through disciple-making then you'll keep them through disciple-making. 

Pray for us as we flesh out this value and walk in the way of Jesus.




2 comments:

  1. John - funny I decided to read your blog this evening and this post in particular. Our church is taking part in 3DM ministries - and your post sounds exactly like what we are doing. What you say about not creating a big following on the front end is hard for the "traditional" church goer to wrap their heads around.... so much "success" of a church comes through programming and numbers. It's totally rethinking the way we do church, isn't it?

    Thanks for your thoughts, and please tell your family we said hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary,

      I am somewhat familiar with Mike Breen and the 3DM Ministries...they are very solid. I have a friend in Louisville whose church has been going in that direction for about 3 years. He loves it.

      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment...great to hear from you. I read your blog and follow your family from a distance:) I'll let Tracie know you said Hi. Do the same for us!

      Delete