Orr Family

Orr Family

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Deep not just Broad--(Part 1)

In January I started what is for me an aggressive Bible Reading plan that requires me to read 12-15 chapters a day. One of the things I've noticed is that when I read the Word in chunks my mind is more attentive to themes than when I read bites. Over the last few days I have been immersed in the Apostle Paul's letters and have been impressed by what impressed him and for what he prayed. It probably will come as no surprise to you when you hear it, in fact, you'll probably say, "Well yeah, I knew that!" My hunch is that those who travelled with Paul, those who heard him teach often, and those who read his letters also probably knew what he was going to say before he said it because they knew his heart.

So what did he think was of utmost importance?

Faith.  Hope.  Love. 

These were Paul's metrics. These were the three things by which he evaluated the churches and the men who led them; and these are the three things for which he prayed for them.

"For this reason, because I have heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love toward all the saints..." Ephesians 1:15

"And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more..." Philippians 1: 9

"We always thank God...since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love that you have for all the saints, because of the hope laid up for you in heaven." Colossians 1:3-5

"We give thanks to God...remembering before God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Thess. 1:2-3

"We ought always to give thanks to God for you...because your faith is growing abundantly and the love of every one of you for one another is increasing. Therefore we ourselves boast about you in the churches of God for your steadfastness and faith..." 2 Thess. 1: 3-4

Read Paul's words to his friends Timothy, Titus, and Philemon and again you'll see faith, hope and love. 

Paul prayed that these churches would continue to grow and increase: 
in faith;
in hope;
and in love. 

He desired that they have a deepening spiritual wisdom and knowledge filled with (controlled by) the Spirit that leads to maturity. 

Maturity leads to multiplication.




No comments:

Post a Comment